Felling Permission maps
The maps that you provide form an integral part of your Felling Permission Application (FPA) and will be included in the issued felling permission.
Ordnance Survey maps
You must use an up-to-date Ordnance Survey (OS) map, or mapping of a similar standard and detail. You must use originals or good quality copies, i.e. paper maps, unless you have access to digital mapping software enabling you to produce maps to the required standard, in which case, you can submit maps in JPEG format.
Where can I get a map?
Paper maps and digital data are available from Ordnance Survey and their partners. Further details are available from Ordnance Survey. Telephone: 03454 56 04 20
What about copyright?
Any organisation or person wanting to copy Ordnance Survey based maps for their own business or private use must either be licensed by the Ordnance Survey, or apply for permission each time a copy is required and keep to the terms of that permission.
It is the responsibility of the landowner or, if different, the applicant (or the agent acting on his/her behalf) to ensure that any copyright responsibilities are met. Ordnance Survey provides copyright licences to many bodies (e.g. local authorities, various professional organisations and business firms, etc.) and to individual customers who have a regular need to copy OS material.
To apply for a copyright licence or for further information contact Ordnance Survey Customer Information on 03454 56 04 20.
How should I mark the maps?
Your maps must be marked clearly and accurately and be consistent with the details given in your FPA. The following points apply to both hard copy maps and those which are supplied electronically in JPEG format.
Your map(s) must:
- Be produced on an up-to-date Ordnance Survey map or mapping of a similar standard and detail.
- Be at an appropriate scale between 1:10,000 and 1:5,000. You should use 1:2,500 or 1:1,250 scale for smaller areas requiring clarity.
- Have a title, scale and legend to clearly identify what you have marked on the map.
- Not have any map detail hidden by folds, labels or marks and include the whole boundary of the application area.
- Have the OS grid reference of the centre of your application area marked.
- Relate directly to the felling or restocking tables on your application form, for example site/compartment 1 must be labelled as ‘1’ on the map.
You must clearly and accurately mark the boundary of your felling operations and clearly identify the type of felling taking place. If the point of access to the area is not obvious, please show this on the map.